Monday, March 06, 2006

Medical Editing/Copyediting Workshop: Freelancer Query

A reader wrote in with the following query. As I get these from time to time, I decided to post it here. If anyone knows of other workshops of this nature, feel free to send the information to us and we'll post it here and on our website seminar page. Thanks!

Y. Black, Moderator
InkwellEditorial.com
**************************

QUESTION: Do you know anyone in the New York area that teaches medical editing and proofreading? This is an area into which I've wanted to expand for some time now, but I've had a difficult time finding information on the Internet (beyond just job listings or freelancers' Web sites).

I'm planning to study through the AMA stylebook, but I'm hoping I don't have to get a medical degree. I recently heard of one editor who does seminars on this type of thing, but I don't remember her name. Thanks for your help.

Marc
********************************************
Have you ever wondered how to break into medical editing/copyediting; how much you can expect ot make; what skills are needed; what a typical day is like; etc. ? Order the Inkwell Editorial e-book on the subject and find out! Editors & Copy Editors with 5-15+ years of experience contributed. Read an excerpt online at http://www.inkwelleditorial.com/bizguides.htm, then order today!
************************

ANSWER: You might try the Editorial Freelancers Association. They're located in the city and are online at http://www.the-efa.org/.

This organization used to give these types of seminars. If not, they may be able to put you in touch with someone who does. Inkwell Editorial used to give them, of course, but the interest was never there on a steady basis to keep it up.

Good luck!
***********************
3/8/05 UPDATE TO ABOVE QUERY -- FREELANCER RESPONDS:
You may also want to mention on the blog that the EFA kindly put me in touch with the instructor of its "intermediate" medical editing course beginning April 22 [2006]. He told me that no previous experience was required, so it looks like I've found what I'm looking for.

MODERATOR NOTE: If you have questions about the class, contact the EFA (Editorial Freelancers Association). They can be found online at http://www.the-efa.org/.

Good luck to all!

No comments: