Monday, August 20, 2007

Freelancing & Living the Life You Want

When I sent out a reminder notice about the upcoming freelancing writing seminar a couple of weeks ago, I received the following response from a subscriber:

**************************************************
Learn exactly what to do to earn $100, $150, $200/day or more as a freelance writer, editor and/or copy editor in our upcoming Freelance Writing Seminar. Details. It's a career anyone who can read and write can start -- with the right information.
**************************************************

"Thanks. I worked for years as a free-lance writer. $150 per day is mad. I doubt it."
My response to the writer was:

"Thanks for responding, and I hope you found the newsletter insightful. While $150/day on a consistent basis may seem impossible, my experience has proven otherwise. Now, it DID take quite a few years before I figured out how to consistently make this, but I average quite a bit more than this.

Marketing, marketing, marketing -- that's why a lot of freelancers fail to make a decent living. Many don't know how to go about it. Once I learned this "secret," I started to improve my income. Over time, it gets easier. Is it hard work? You bet!

Marketing is much more difficult than the actual work most of the time. But, it is worth it. I don't know what you're doing now, but read through my blog (http://www.inkwelleditorial.blogspot.com) -- there's over two years of posts there -- for some insight on marketing and a host of other things about the business of freelancing. I wish you success in whatever endeavor you're pursuing."

So why did I tell you this?

What's Blocking Your Success?

Quite simply, because this is why many of us fail to achieve, or give up too quickly in many endeavors we try. Instead of asking how, we say it can't be done. I'm the biggest skeptic around and still suffer from this to a degree. BUT . . .

As I've said many times before in my blog, newsletters, articles, etc, one of my mother's favorite sayings was, "If you want to do something, ask someone who is already doing it."

So, if you try something on your own and it doesn't work out AND you see others succeeding at that very thing, your first response should be, "Let me learn from them," NOT "It can't be done because I've tried and it didn't work out."

One of the Best Entrepreneurial Lessons

One of the best lessons I've learned in my entrepreneurial journey -- is that rarely will you succeed at something the first time, especially if you attempt it without a proven formula for success.

As I told the writer, many freelancers don't know how to market effectively. With any type of business, this will surely lead to failure.

But, I Can't Get Clients!

I think many freelancers believe that if they're good writers, they'll get clients. And, they will -- BUT, only if they market effectively, consistently and to the right type of client (which will all be discussed in the seminar).

So, I guess my lesson is -- don't give up on something -- whether it's freelance writing or running a marathon -- just because you've tried it once and it didn't work out.

Imagine if Einstein, Edison or Bill Gates had given up after one try -- never mind 10, 20 or a hundred. It's impossible to think what our world would be like today. It took me quite a few years to achieve "comfortability" as a freelancer, as Meryl Evans, the B2B writer I interviwed in the last newsletter wrote about as well.

If I'd given up after a few months -- even a few years -- I'd never be where I am today.

So, I look forward to the seminar -- as I hope you are too. Registration will begin after Labor Day. Of course the announcement will be posted here.

Stay tuned, and hold onto your dreams -- whatever they are!

Dream pursuer,
Yuwanda Black, Publisher
http://inkwelleditorial.com/
http://inkwelleditorial.blogspot.com/
**************************************************
Upcoming Features in Inkwell Editorial’s Newsletter

September 12: Gordon Graham. We ring in the “editorial season” by interviewing Gordon Graham, aka “that white paper guy.” Gordon writes and edits white papers and case studies. He charges $90/hour just to edit a white paper and a minimum of $4,000 to produce a white paper from scratch.

Now, do you see why I had to interview him?! Most freelancers don’t even dream of making this type of money. I can’t wait for this interview.

Missed the latest issue? The 8/15 issue of Inkwell Editorial’s newsletter featured an interview with B2B freelance writer, Meryl K. Evans. Want to break into this very lucrative market. Meryl's interview sheds some detailed light on how. Sign up to receive your copy to read what Meryl had to say.

Gain clients, web traffic and brand awareness. How? Let us interview you for our popular newsletter? Full details. Read the first issue here.

NOTE: As editorial is cyclical and slow during the summer, in July and August, the newsletter will be published once. In September, we go back to our twice-monthly publishing schedule. Subscribe today so you don't miss anything!
!*************************************************
Copyright Notice: May be reprinted with the following, in full: Yuwanda Black is the publisher of InkwellEditorial.com: THE business portal for and about the editorial and creative industries. First-hand freelance success stories, e-courses, job postings, resume tips, advice on the business of freelancing, and more! Launch a Profitable Freelance Writing Career in 30 Days or Less -- Guaranteed! Log on to InkwellEditorial.com.
**************************************************
Like what you read here? Find the content useful and informative? Make us a Technorati Favorite. Simply click the Technorati icon at the top right-hand corner of the page.

No comments: