Tuesday, August 21, 2007

People Won't Buy What They Don't Understand: How to Sell Your Freelance Services

I received an email a few months ago from someone asking me to write about their "product/service" (I still don't know which, which is explained below) on my blog.

I receive quite a few of these requests and, unless it's something I think readers of this blog will benefit from, I rarely do this.

Dumb & Dumber?

But, why am I telling you this? I brought it up because, for the life of me, I couldn't understand what the heck the guy was talking about. I read the email several times -- and still have it in my inbox. I kept it because the idea for this post came from it.

I thought, "How am I supposed to talk about something that I don't even understand?" I mean, I'm not the brightest bulb on the tree by any stretch of the imagination, but I'm far from the dimmest also.

Clarity Equals Money

While this may seem like a simple concept, I can't tell you how many times I receive marketing materials that clearly mean something to the promoter, but leaves out some important detail that is not obvious to the end user. Simplicity sells.

POST CONTINUED BELOW
**************************************************
Want to learn exactly what to do to earn $100, $150, $200/day or more as a freelance writer, editor and/or copy editor? Inkwell Editorial's upcoming Freelance Writing Seminar will tell you how. Details. It's a career anyone who can read and write can start -- with the right information.
**************************************************

While you never want to talk down to your audience, you do want to clearly state the BENEFITS to the buyer. The reason I capitalize benefits is that where most marketers go wrong is that they get so caught up in explaining the features of their product, that they forget to highlight the benefits.

How to Sell Your Services as a Freelancer

This is why people buy -- because of the benefits your service will bring to them, NOT because you're a wonderful writer. Even a mediocre writer who clearly outlines the benefits a client will derive from his/her service will get clients.

Freelance writing is a career anyone can start -- you don't have to be super smart or super talented. Now, you can't be a nitwit -- it does take competence. But, if I had a nickel for every time someone assumed that they couldn't do it, I'd be very well off.

How to Get Clients Every Time You Advertise

These types of concepts -- as well as quite a few others -- will be discussed in the upcoming freelance writing seminar in October. You will learn simple steps to follow with every marketing piece you send out. This way, every dime of your marketing dollars will be spent smartly every time you reach out to clients.

Simplistically yours,
Yuwanda Black, Publisher
http://inkwelleditorial.com/
http://inkwelleditorial.blogspot.com/
**************************************************
Upcoming Features in Inkwell Editorial’s Newsletter

September 12: Gordon Graham. We ring in the “editorial season” by interviewing Gordon Graham, aka “that white paper guy.” Gordon writes and edits white papers and case studies. He charges $90/hour just to edit a white paper and a minimum of $4,000 to produce a white paper from scratch.

Now, do you see why I had to interview him?! Most freelancers don’t even dream of making this type of money. I can’t wait for this interview.

Missed the latest issue? The 8/15 issue of Inkwell Editorial’s newsletter featured an interview with B2B freelance writer, Meryl K. Evans. Want to break into this very lucrative market? Meryl's interview sheds some detailed light on how. Sign up to receive your copy to read what Meryl had to say.

Gain clients, web traffic and brand awareness. How? Let us interview you for our popular newsletter? Full details. Read the first issue here.

NOTE: As editorial is cyclical and slow during the summer, in July and August, the newsletter will be published once. In September, we go back to our twice-monthly publishing schedule. Subscribe today so you don't miss anything!!
************************************************
Copyright Notice: May be reprinted with the following, in full: Yuwanda Black is the publisher of InkwellEditorial.com: THE business portal for and about the editorial and creative industries. First-hand freelance success stories, e-courses, job postings, resume tips, advice on the business of freelancing, and more! Launch a Profitable Freelance Writing Career in 30 Days or Less -- Guaranteed! Log on to InkwellEditorial.com.
**************************************************
Like what you read here? Find the content useful and informative? Make us a Technorati Favorite. Simply click the Technorati icon at the top right-hand corner of the page.

No comments: