Monday, May 21, 2007

5 Things You Must Look for in a Freelance Writing Mentor (Part I of III)

Over the years, I've been asked many times by freelancers if I would be their mentor. I'm always flattered, but have never done it simply because I don't have the time. I usually refer inquirers to my website and blog, as it is all about the business of freelancing.

For those who want one, following are some things to look for in a freelance writing mentor.

POST CONTINUED BELOW
***************************************
Want to start a profitable career as a freelance writer?
Our work-from-home ebooks contain all the information you need to get started right way! Log on to order. It's fast, simple, safe and secure.

P.S.: All e-books are written from first-hand experience, or are told from first-hand accounts. So, you get concrete advice straight from those who have been where you are -- and are now where you want to be.

Commercial Freelance Writing Seminar: Employers tell exactly what they're looking for in freelancers -- and more! Get the details here.
***************************************
1. Tech Savvy: You want a mentor who is tech-savvy. They don't have to be Bill Gates tech-savvy, but at least be up on the latest technology.

How do you determine this without outright asking? Look for their website, their blog, see if they publish a newsletter, or air material via a podcast.

Also, scour their writings. Have they written on tech, referred to it in a newsletter, eg, "I recently attended a teleseminar," etc.

Why is it important that your mentor be tech savvy? As I discussed in the article Lessons I've Learned from 19+ Years as a Freelancer & Recruiter in the Editorial Industry, "I had to know enough [technology] to be able to stay competitive. This meant not only getting a [web]site, but learning how to update it myself."

Technology saves you time and money - two things freelancers are usually very short on. If you don't have a website, how are you going to sell yourself? Potential clients expect one nowadays - it's like trying to do business without a telephone.

Updating Your Website: You always want to have the latest sample on your site. Also, things like media blurbs, speaking engagements, testimonials for clients, etc.

All of these are individual updates - and, it can get very expensive to have someone constantly update it. So, learning enough HTML, or creating a site with a WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get) software like FrontPage will save you thousands of dollars over time.

2. Variety: I don't necessarily mean across genres, although this is a nice bonus, but I mean variety in the types of projects they take on.

For example, I do freelance writing, editing, copy editing, word processing and copywriting. I also create newsletters, brochures, postcards, write sales letters and provide web content.

Why is variety important? Quite simply, clients will approach you with different projects once they are pleased with your initial work.

I started doing brochures and newsletters because clients started requesting them. For example, years ago I had a client who was a web marketer. She initially hired me to copyedit her web content.

One time, when I turned a project in, she asked me if I could develop a monthly e-newsletter for her prospect list. She asked because she liked the way I copyediting her material. Basically, I rewrote a lot of her stuff - rearranging material for more impact and deleting material that I thought was excess.

When she asked, I said sure. Although I had never developed a newsletter for a client before, I knew what they were and also that I could go on the Internet and find good samples.

NOTE: Never turn down work that you can easily find out how to do. Most small business owners (who are the majority of my clients) are very busy and usually whatever you come up with will be so much better than they expected that they will be forever grateful.

The web is packed with templates, how-to information, easy-to-use software, etc., that it is relatively easy to pick up a new skill/software and teach yourself how to use it - usually within a matter of hours.

This is another reason you want a mentor who is tech-savvy.

I heard a quote on the radio the other day that's stuck with me. It went, "Years ago, workers advanced in society based on how they performed their job; today, workers advance because of what they know, not what they do."

Technology has made this so, so true. So, choose a mentor wisely.

Tomorrow: Part II of this article will discuss two more things you should look for in a freelance writing mentor, and the third part will reveal the number one thing you want to look for in a mentor - and why.
*************************
Copyright Notice: May be reprinted with the following, in full: Yuwanda Black is the publisher of InkwellEditorial.com: THE business portal for and about the editorial and creative industries. First-hand freelance success stories, e-courses, job postings, resume tips, advice on the business of freelancing, and more! Launch a Profitable Freelance Writing Career in 30 Days or Less -- Guaranteed! Log on to InkwellEditorial.com.
*************************
Like what you read here? Find the content useful and informative? Make us a Technorati Favorite. Simply click the Technorati icon at the top right-hand corner of the page.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Many writers do not understand the power of good technology to help market their work. And, you are correct in that the site needs to be consistently updated.

This was so true from my experience at a writing conference that I changed my blog over to how technology can help writers.

One caution from the article -- Microsoft is discontinuing FrontPage as of Office 2007 and going to more of a Sharepoint approach. At this point, I wouldn't start a site using FrontPage.

Yuwanda Black said...

Scott, thanks for the comment. You're right about freelances and technology. Ijust think most of us are too busy trying to keep deadlines to stay abreast of technology. It doesn't help that it changes every 5 minutes either. As for FrontPage, I know about its "death." I even wrote about it in an article on AssociatedContent.com at http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/224603/why_microsofts_frontpage_is_still_a.html.

I'm going to use it until they make it impossible not to. I love FrontPage and don't have the time -- or desire -- to learn anything else right now.

Thanks again for chiming in.