Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Update: Editor-in-Chief's Job Offer

I'm sorry this post is a day late, but here it is.

In my March 29th post, I wrote about an Editor-in-Chief's job offer I received. I was a bit hesitant and took a few weeks to make up my mind. Like the little guy in picture, I was left scratching my head -- what to do? What to do?

Well, I finally decided and I'm not going to accept the offer. Why not?
******************
What about the work-from-home ebooks I keep promising? Software problems. Am having the bugs worked out as we speak so they can be back up before day's end.
******************

As flattered as I was, I thought about all I'd have to give up to take this position and I decided that, although it was a fabulous opportunity, it wasn't a fabulous opportunity for me. Why?

1. My Career: I've worked pretty hard to get to this point as a freelancer. I would have had to cut back on a lot of that -- possibly losing long-time clients in the process. It's not the clients I feared losing so much as the rebuilding I would have to go through if the position didn't pan out.

As many of you know, publishing is a very demanding industry and start-up magazines have a high failure rate. While I believed in the project, it was not something I was willing to pour my heart and soul into. It wasn't a passion. I was excited about the opportunity more than the project itself.

A venture like this needs -- at a minimum -- goo-gobs of passion, along with a heck of a lot of hard work. I'm a hard worker -- that was never the problem. BUT, the sustaining passion was not there.

2. Life Choices: A few years ago, I wrote down what I wanted out of life -- what was important to me. I did this so that I could structure my life in that direction.

I'm an entrepreneur at heart and tend to be a bit schizophrenic in the things I want to try. One day I want to start an online company selling ethnic art (did that), the next I want to start a virtual recruiting firm (did that to a limited degree) and the day after that I want to be a magazine publisher (even wrote a business plan for that).

After reading a book about writing down life goals to make them happen, I did this to keep myself structured and focused on what I really wanted out of life.

Regarding work, a few of the things I wrote was stability, working less hours and the option of retirement at 50. I'm not saying I will retire then, but I want that option if I so choose.

This opportunity ran contrary to all of these life goals. As previously mentioned, start-up magazines have a high failure rate (there went stability); require long hours; and you must put those in over a period of years.

Once I realized all of this and compared it to my life goals, it sealed the deal for me.

I've learned a few things about myself in this process, which I'll expand upon in another post. BUT, perhaps the thing that stood out most to me is how important it is to have a life plan. Write down what you want and continually remind yourself of it.

Life pulls you in so many directions that it's easy to get off track. Knowing what you ultimately want -- having a picture of what your ideal life would be -- will keep you focused on the end goal.
Tomorrow's Post: Even though I'd promised to address The Thinking Blogger's Award post along with this missive today, I'll do it tomorrow. Deadlines, deadlines!

Best,
Yuwanda Black, Publisher
InkwellEditorial.com
InkwellEditorial.blogspot.com
*************************
Copyright Notice: May be reprinted with the following, in full: Yuwanda Black is the publisher of InkwellEditorial.com: THE business portal for and about the editorial and creative industries. First-hand freelance success stories, e-courses, job postings, resume tips, advice on the business of freelancing, and more! Launch a Profitable Freelance Writing Career in 30 Days or Less -- Guaranteed! Log on to InkwellEditorial.com.
*************************
Like what you read here? Find the content useful and informative? Subscribe to the Inkwell Editorial feed (under the LINKS section to your right) to receive new content immediately upon publishing.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yuwanda, Good for you for having a life plan and reviewing this opportunity in light of your plan.

Paula Blanton said...

It is good that you weighed both options and see how it would affect your life. I am glad that you are confident with your decision.

Yuwanda Black said...

Thanks Lillie and Paula. I feel relieved. I hadn't realized how much the decision was weighing on me until I'd made up my mind.

Yuwanda