Wednesday, June 13, 2007

I Hate My Freelance Writing Career! (Part I of II)

If you’ve lost your passion for your writing career, here’s why and how to get it back -- with a vengeance!

In my 5/10 post entitled “What to Do When You’re Tired of Writing,” I kvetched about being tired of writing. I had just run out of steam. I had no desire to do it – in fact I dreaded it.

I recently got my writing groove back. I actually look forward to turning on my computer. So, I asked myself, “What happened? Why do I feel so differently now, when I was considering a career change just a few weeks ago.”

After examining the issue in detail, I discovered a few things that I think other freelance writers can learn from.

POST CONTINUED BELOW
***************************************
Want to start a profitable career as a freelance writer? Our work-from-home ebooks contain all the information you need to get started right way! Log on to order. It's fast, simple, safe and secure.

FREE E-book on Article Marketing: If you write and distribute free content, learn how to increase your income via this free e-book. Full details.

Freelance Writing Seminar: Employers tell exactly what they're looking for in freelancers -- and more! Get the details here.

Want to be featured in Inkwell Editorial's popular newsletter? Full details. Read the first issue here.
***************************************
Reasons You May Have Lost Your Writing Passion & How to Get It Back

Doing Too Much: The main reason I was burned out on writing is that I was doing too much. To understand this a little better, you have to understand my (your) personality. I’m a Type A personality.

According to the article, Type A Personality Traits: Characteristics and Effects of a Type A Personality, on About.com: “. . . the following characteristics are the hallmark characteristics of Type A Behavior (TAB):

Time Urgency and Impatience: [Type A’s] are always painfully aware of the time And how little of it they have to spare. Type A behavior often includes . . . competitiveness [and] strong achievement-orientation.
The traits about Type A personality that really personify me is time and strong achievement-orientation:

Time: I’m constantly aware of how much time I don’t have – and am always trying to pack in more, more and more. This leads to frustration and exhaustion.

Strong achievement-orientation: I’m an over-achiever. I always have been. The older I get though, the more I realize that it works just as hard against you, as for you, if you don’t control it.

I always have a million ideas floating around my head – and never enough time to implement them. For example, I had driven myself to update all of Inkwell Editorial’s e-books, am re-launching our newsletter, am putting together a freelance writing seminar and have ideas for three more e-books I’m itching to get started on.

This is just off the top of my head. There is more in a “To Do” folder sitting on my desk. This makes me frustrated; I feel like I’m falling behind, so I drive myself harder. This leads to exhaustion – mental and physical.

If any of this sounds familiar, how can you combat it?

Solution I: Scale back. That’s what I did. I just took a few days off. While I was off, I queried myself why I was driving me so hard.

The answer is, I have goals that I want to accomplish and I’m so afraid of not getting there that I just push, push, push. I had to remind myself that if I were doing everything I can, what I want would come. I just have to trust in that.

Solution II: Examine your personality. Ask if your intrinsic makeup is causing you to approach your freelance writing career in such a way that it’s causing you problems.

In my case, I’m not the type [Type A] to leave things to chance. I’m a proactive – not reactive writer, which is why I don’t have the patience for magazine writing, for example. Why? Because you have to query and wait.

I’m much more comfortable as a commercial freelance writer, which is more immediate. I usually approach the client (proactive), I have control over the deadline, the invoicing, the editorial changes, etc.

Knowing your personality makes you more aware of how you need to handle your freelance career for maximum happiness – which leads to increased profits.

TOMORROW: Part II of this post will examine two more reasons you may hate your freelance writing career – and what you can do about it.
**************************
Copyright Notice: May be reprinted with the following, in full: Yuwanda Black is the publisher of InkwellEditorial.com: THE business portal for and about the editorial and creative industries. First-hand freelance success stories, e-courses, job postings, resume tips, advice on the business of freelancing, and more! Launch a Profitable Freelance Writing Career in 30 Days or Less -- Guaranteed! Log on to InkwellEditorial.com.
*************************
Like what you read here? Find the content useful and informative? Make us a Technorati Favorite. Simply click the Technorati icon at the top right-hand corner of the page.

No comments: