Thursday, January 10, 2008

How to Set SEO Writing Rates to Make $250-$500+/Day

As I contemplated writing this article, I thought, another one on this dreaded topic (freelance writing rates). “Why can’t we all just get along,” is the motto that is running itself over and over in my head right now.

BUT, I’m going to tackle this anyway. Sometimes, progress just takes a while.

As frequent readers of this blog know, I started to take on SEO writing projects last year. It was a new niche for me, so I researched every aspect of it. Rates, of course, was at the top of the list.

Almost all of the research I did was disheartening. Much of what I read about rates on SEO writing was low – very low. Most of the assignments offered rates like $1-$4 for 350-500 word articles. And that’s not a typo. If $5 was offered, it was like – woohoo! – a “good rate.” I was horrified and this almost put me off entering the SEO writing niche.

But, with 15 years of freelance writing experience under my belt, and almost a dozen as a small business owner, I had a gut feeling that this was a niche where some real money could be made (I recently logged over $500 in one day in orders and had to hire help, so my gut was right).

Freelance Writers: How to Stop Competing on Rate & Win as Many Clients as You Can Handle

So, why am I telling you all this? Because when it came time to set my rates, I didn’t even try to compete with what others were offering. I took the following into consideration when I set my rates for writing SEO content.

Read the rest of this post here.
NOTE: I changed the title of this post because I'm trying to get better at writing these. I think this one is more effective than the original title, How to Stop Competing on Rate & Win as Many Clients as You Can Handle?

What do you think?

RE: Response to yesterday’s request for interview subjects: I received quite a few responses and will be going through them this evening. I’m up against a couple of deadlines that have to be met today.

So, if you wrote in, sit tight. I’ll be in touch even if you aren’t selected for this month’s newsletter (there’s a good chance I’ll want to interview you for a future issue).

Sincerely,
Yuwanda Black, Publisher
http://inkwelleditorial.com/
http://inkwelleditorial.blogspot.com/
http://seo-article-writer.com/
http://seo-articles-for-sale.com/
http://money-making-videos.blogspot.com/
How to Start a Successful Freelance Career Newsletter
P.S.: Read about my $250/day as a freelance writer -- with less than two weeks of marketing!
**************************************************
Read Freelance Success Stories! There are freelancers who make very good livings at what they love. Inkwell Editorial's newsletter features these successful professionals who put to rest the phrase, "starving freelancer." Subscribe to read all previous issues.

Current Issue: How Much do Freelance Web Writers Really Make? This issue features a roundup of freelance writer income from around the web. Features salaries from a few hundred a month, to a website that earns over $30,000/month -- and the site owner doesn't even sell anything! Subscribe to read this inspiring issue.

Previous Issue. Ghostwriting: Want to know what type of work is out there in this genre? How much it pays? Where to find it? How to go about getting it? Ghostwriter Amanda Evans gives us the skinny on this freelance writing niche.
***********************************************
Copyright © 2008 InkwellEditorial.com: Freelance success stories, e-courses, advice on the business of freelancing, and more! Get the e-report, How to Make $100/Day as a Freelance Writer -- free! Log on to http://www.freelancewritingwebsite.com/ for details. Except where noted, no part of this site may be reproduced in any manner without the express, written consent of the publisher. Violators will be prosecuted.

2 comments:

Misti Sandefur, Christian author/freelance writer said...

Thanks for the tips. However, I would like to know how you found out who the "middle man" worked for? So far, on all the bid sites where I've read the details, they never mention who they work for, and that's why I asked this question.

Yuwanda Black said...

Misti (and everyone else):

See 1/11 post to read the answer to your query. I responded like this because I thought it was an excellent question and the answer could be learned from by all.

Thanks for writing in.

Best,
Yuwanda